SISJ KIDS – HEALTHY & HYDRATING CHOICES >
Pregnancy, labour, breastfeeding and motherhood… They are all life-altering experiences. They are also all experiences where so much of what can happen is ultimately out of control, so the things we can control should be on the top of our priority list. For me this list included: my health (physically, emotionally & mentally), lifestyle choices (workload, still doing things I enjoyed pre-pregnancy) and ensuring I had a strong network around me (family, friends & professionals). While pregnancy is the beginning of a whole new world of worry (welcome to parenthood!), it shouldn’t be. Throughout my own pregnancy I made sure I ate well, kept active and stayed hydrated. Today on the blog I have featured aquamamma® – a health-minded hydration product specifically formulated for pregnant women, women in labour and those who are breastfeeding. Today on the blog I am speaking about this fabulous product, my advice to new mammas and the importance of keeping hydrated during these times.
SO WHAT IS AQUAMAMMA?
In 2014 Sydney obstetrician Dr Rob Buist became frustrated by the absence of a healthy hydration product for women in pregnancy, labour and while breastfeeding. The importance of hydration in pregnancy and birth has long been recognised, but there was a desperate need for something specifically-formulated – particularly by an industry professional.
- aquamamma® is made in Australia and is packaged in a BPA-free bottle
- It contains added folic acid, it’s low in sugar, sodium and calories
- It comes in three deeelish flavours: mixed berry, lemon (my fave) & orange
- Designed specifically to meet the hydration needs of pregnant, birthing and breastfeeding women
HYDRATION IN PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING:
Take away from the equation me growing a tiny human, I can be very slack and naughty when it comes to reaching my daily hydration needs. However, during my pregnancy and while I breastfed it was a totally different story! MG was absolutely my priority and I forced myself (at times with cordial – naughty!) to consume what I needed. If I had known about aquamamma® during these times, oh my gosh, it would have made things so much easier (as drinking water does not come naturally to me!). As I am entering the next stage now of thinking about baby number two, let me tell you, these will be jammed full into my fridge and hospital bag! Here are some fast facts that may give you the wake-up call I needed during my first pregnancy, birth and while I breastfed >
- Beginning at 6 to 8 weeks gestation your total body water increases by about 1.4 litres. Pregnant women require more fluid intake for their increased blood volume (up by 50%), the needs of the developing baby and the amniotic fluid
- Every woman that has ever been pregnant knows you pass a lot of urine frequently in pregnancy. Your urine output increases significantly as do your insensible losses (fluid lost through sweating and breathing) when you are pregnant – even more so when you are exercising too!
- During breastfeeding mothers experience an increased water loss via breastmilk of approximately 700mL per day (This is why experts recommend the adequate intake of fluid for breastfeeding women is up to 2.6 litres per day)
These changes mean that pregnant women have to consume more fluid than those who are not pregnant. Experts recommend that the appropriate fluid intake for pregnant women is about 2.3 litres per day, although this amount will increase with vomiting, exercise and during labour.
During our pregnancies and nursing we ideally should avoid sports drinks, fruit juices (that are high in sugar), soft drinks and energy drinks. As a busy first-time mamma I know organisation is key and time is precious, which is why aquamamma® is getting better by the second – you can order online! It’s also available from selected pharmacies.
SOME OF MY ADVICE TO NEW MAMMAS:
- YOUR HEART WILL PHYSICALLY HURT WITH THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR YOUR CHILD
- BE CALM AND TRUST IN YOUR BODY AND MIND WHILE PREGNANT (THE HUMAN BODY IS AN AMAZING THING!)
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO STAY ACTIVE, BUT BE SAFE
- EMBRACE YOUR NEW BUMPS AND CURVES, BECAUSE ONE DAY YOU WILL MISS THEM
- YOU WILL AMAZE YOURSELF WITH A LOVE YOU DIDN’T KNOW WAS HUMANLY POSSIBLE
- ASK FOR HELP
But most importantly, enjoy! One very wise reader of mine said to me recently: “the days are long, but the years are short”. Embrace the gift of being able to carry, birth and raise a child, and look after yourself. That little human you are growing depends on you.
SOME INFORMATION YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING > head over to the aquamamma® website – CLICK HERE
® AQUAMAMMA is a registered trade mark. CH-0169
This post was a collaboration between aquamamma® and SISJ, but all views are my own. SJ x